Configure BGP on mbox
mox supports Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) for both IPv4 and IPv6. Below are some examples of mbox BGP configuration.
BGP WITH DUAL ISP LINKS (dual homing)
In this example, customer has two uplinks to ISP, with it’s own dedicated AS number and public addressing space.
- primary mbox connecting to primary link, secondary mbox connecting to secondary link
- customer owns dedicated ASN, with dedicated public addressing space (ASN and public addressing can be assigned by ISP if both links are from same ISP)
- primary and secondary mbox run VRRP, with primary mbox being the active router, therefore all traffic goes out from primary mbox by default
- secondary mbox advertise client network with pre-pend option, so that routes from secondary mbox is less preferred (therefore standby) for return traffic, so that return traffic also comes back from primary link by default (therefore, both outbound and inbound traffic through primary link).
- In case of primary link/mbox failure, primary mbox VRRP status changes to standby and stops advertising routes to Internet; secondary mbox assume active VRRP status for outbound traffic, and advertises customer network for return traffic (therefore both outbound and inbound traffic go through secondary link)
Primary mbox config:!interface eth0description "Link to ISP1"enableip address 220.127.116.11/30!interface eth1description "Link to customer Net"enableip address 18.104.22.168/24vrrp-group 10 state MASTER priority 120 authentication Letmein99 virtual_ipaddress 22.214.171.124 start!router bgp 65003neighbor 126.96.36.199 remote-as 65001network 188.8.131.52/24! Secondary mbox config:!interface eth0description "Link to ISP2"enableip address 184.108.40.206/30!interface eth1description "Link to customer Net"enableip address 220.127.116.11/24vrrp-group 10 state SLAVE priority 80 authentication Letmein99 virtual_ipaddress 18.104.22.168 start!!use a route-map to prepend routes advertised from secondary mboxroute-map MBOXBK permit 10set as-path prepend 65003 65003 65003!router bgp 65003neighbor 22.214.171.124 remote-as 65002neighbor 126.96.36.199 route-map MBOXBK outnetwork 188.8.131.52/24! Troubleshooting/Verification commands:========================================show ip bgpshow ip bgp neighborshow ip bgp summaryshow ip route bgp
BGP WITH IPv6 SUPPORT
In this example, we configure mbox to support both IPv4 and IPv6 routes
- mbox runs both IPv4 and IPv6 dual stack.
- mbox is configured to receive/advertise both IPv4 and IPv6 routes