Portal sticky (seamless relogin)
Portal sticky is another method to enable user seamless relogin. Upon a user first successful authentication, when the same user comes back with the same device during account validity period, mbox can autologin for this user without user having to re-key in their username & password to the login portal.
Note there are some fundamental differences between "client-sticky" and "portal-sticky" features:
- "client-sticky" allows relogin once user connects to the network with an IP address and the autologin is done by HSG hotspot engine.
- "client sticky" only works for on-premise design, with a local HSG gateway
- The autologin is triggered by any type of connection requests (either web or non-web connection).
- After autologin, user gets full access and can not be redirected to another URL.
- The "client-sticky" session validity is configurable by setting "start" or "last" day of login (follow CLI guide)
- "client-sticky" is more seamless to users, as they can start using any apps once connect to network. It's usually used for large venues (eg. airport, hotels, etc) where Wi-Fi marketing features are not required.
- "portal-sticky" requires user to initiate a browsing session (web connection only) to trigger the captive portal and the autologin is done by captive portal.
- "portal sticky" works for both on-premise and cloud design, eg. local gateway can be HSG, HSA, or MAP (wifidog).
- The autologin is triggered by user browsing request (web connection), although most mobile devices will auto trigger this browsing request (a CNA feature).
- After autologin, user can be redirected to another marketing URL.
- The "portal-sticky" session validity follows RADIUS "data-lifetime" (configured from CLI)
- "portal sticky" is good for venues requiring Wi-Fi marketing features, as it can redirect user to a marketing URL or banner ads page after auto relogin, while still enjoying a seamless experience.
NOTE: "portal sticky" is disabled by default. you can enable it on a per portal (per VLAN) basis.
Enable "portal sticky" for the target captive portal